Subtropical Young Dairy Network
The Subtropical Dairy Young Dairy Network (YDN) provides a connection for farmers and service providers within the dairy industry to share ideas and experiences and learn together. The network is made up of young farmers, farm employees and service providers to the dairy industry.
The Subtropical Dairy YDN is expansive, with more than 400 members spread across the northern Australian dairy regions from Kempsey in New South Wales to the Atherton Tableland in Queensland.
An overarching Project Advisory Committee made up of representatives from across the six sub regions of Subtropical Dairy provides governance and guidance to the project and its activities. Each of the sub regions also has a locally-based committee which makes decisions about technical and social activities held throughout the year.
Aims of the YDN
The key aims of the Subtropical Dairy YDN are:
- To provide encouragement, support and opportunities for young farmers and professionals to develop the technical knowledge and skills they require to make informed decisions in their business; build the communication and leadership skills they require to fulfil key roles in the dairy industry and community; and communicate and build relationships with key industry, agribusiness and government contacts that can assist them to develop their businesses.
- To create a supportive network environment where young dairy farmers and professionals can act autonomously, share challenges and successes, inspire one another to grow and develop their businesses and boost morale through challenging periods.
- To improve the sustainability of the northern dairy industry and the communities this industry supports through developing future leaders to fulfill key roles in the dairy industry and community.
Industry partnerships and sponsors
The YDN is managed by Subtropical Dairy. The support of a number of sponsors makes the network possible. These are BEC Feed Solutions, Dairy Express and Young Dairy Network Australia.
Key stakeholders are:
- Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- NSW Farmers
- Milk processor representatives
For general enquiries about the Subtropical Dairy YDN, please contact Alicia Richters.
The YDN has six regions across Subtropical Dairy. They are the Far North Queensland, Sunshine Coast, South East Queensland, Darling Downs, NSW Far North Coast and NSW Mid North Coast.